Adapted from cookincanuck.com recipe to be vegan
makes 4 servings
I like these balls with pasta or brown rice.
One 15-ounce can of cannellini beans (low sodium), rinsed and drained*
1 roasted red pepper (chopped small if not using a food processor)
½ onion (finely diced or grated, if not using a food processor)
2 cloves of garlic (minced if not using food processor)
½ onion (diced fine if not using food processor)
¼ cup fresh parsley (diced fine if not using food processor) or 1 Tbs. dried parsley
1 egg replacer egg, reconstituted**
1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add garlic to the food processor and blend.
3. Add beans, onion, and parsley to the food processor and pulse until finely ground.
4. In a large bowl, add the equivalent of 1 egg using egg replacer and whisk. Pour bean mixture into the bowl. Add oregano, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Blend well.
5. Scoop 2 Tablespoons of mixture. Form into a ball.
6. Place balls on the prepared tray.
7. Bake until balls are firm to the touch and lightly browned about 15-20 minutes.
NOTES: *if using beans cooked from dry, use about 1 ½ cups of beans.
**I’ve used Ener-G egg replacer (1 ½ teaspoons of egg replacer powder mixed with 2 Tablespoons warm water) and Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer (1 Tablespoon egg replacer powder mixed with 2 Tablespoons of water and let sit for 1 minute).
If you don’t have a food processor, use a potato masher or a fork to mash beans in large bowl. Make the egg substitute in a separate small bowl. Then add egg substitute and remaining ingredients to the large bowl with the beans and blend well. Continue at step 5.