Black-Eyed Pea Soup and Tofu MacFeb 16, 2022
black-eyed peas and collard greens (quick stove-top version)
makes 6-8 servings
adapted from https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com
2 Celery Ribs (Stalks), diced
1 Bell Pepper, red or green (optional)
2 small Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
4 cloves Garlic, pressed or minced
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
5 cups Vegetable Broth
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
3 15 ounce cans of black-eyed peas or 45 ounces of frozen black-eyed peas
1. Heat a large soup pot until medium-hot. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion starts to turn translucent. If things start to stick or burn add water or broth.
2. Add the thyme, smoked paprika, bay leaf, and pepper. Stir.
4. Add the broth, balsamic vinegar, and liquid smoke.
6. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes until peas are warm and greens are done to your taste.
Serve on its own, over brown rice and/or with vegan cornbread.
NOTE: For more flavor, don’t be afraid to increase the spices, vinegar, and liquid smoke. I have found that the Instant pot version delivers more flavor with the original amount of spices. Here’s a link to that recipe. Also, if you are not used to eating low-salt dishes, you may want to add salt to this soup. It’s healthier to add the salt to your individual serving after cooking so that the salt is kept to a minimum, which will help manage your blood pressure.
baked tofu mac
makes 8-12 servings
16 ounces elbow macaroni
1 15 oz. can lite coconut milk
3/4 cups water
1 14 ounce package firm tofu
3/4 teaspoon paprika
½-1 cup bread crumbs
3. In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients.
5. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Turn on the broiler, move the casserole to the top rack, and broil for about 5 minutes until the top is browned. Watch it carefully so that it doesn’t burn.
Stay connected with healthy living tips, recipes and more!
Join our mailing list to receive actionable information to change your relationship with self-care.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.